Can I apply under ATF to access DWP benefits?

Access to funds may not be appropriate where the adult's only income is made up of DWP benefit payments. In such cases DWP appointeeship may be adequate. However the access to funds scheme may be helpful if the adult has savings or a private pension.

You can apply to the DWP for the right to deal with the benefits of someone who can’t manage their own affairs because they’re mentally incapable or severely disabled. Only 1 appointee can act on behalf of someone who is entitled to benefits (the claimant) from the DWP. An appointee can be:

  • an individual, e.g. a friend or relative, or
  • an organisation or representative of an organisation, e.g. a solicitor or local authority

As an appointee you’re responsible for making and maintaining any benefit claims. You must:

  • sign the benefit claim form
  • tell the benefit office about any changes which affect how much the claimant gets
  • spend the benefit (which is paid directly to you) in the claimant’s best interests
  • tell the benefit office if you stop being the appointee e.g. the claimant can now manage their own affairs

Further information on DWP Appointeeship can be found at: