Making an application

If you wish to apply you will need to complete our application form. We provide a specific application form for organisations to use. Please note that guidance notes are available to help complete the form.

Family members, friends or carers etc. wishing to apply should complete the application form for individuals useful guidance notes are also available.

Completed application forms should be sent to us along with the correct medical certificate and the registration fee.  A registered and licensed medical practitioner, such as a GP or a specialist in a mental disorder may complete the medical certificate. This is required to confirm the adult is incapable of making decisions about, or acting to safeguard, their funds. The application, medical certificate and our fee should all be sent to us at the same time.

You will normally be required to submit supporting evidence such as bills/invoices for the amounts being requested in the application. It is necessary for the application to be countersigned by a person who has known the applicant for at least 1 year prior to the date of your application. The person who countersigns is confirming that the information in the application is true, and that you are a fit and proper person to access the adult’s funds. The application must be sent to us within 14 days of the person countersigning the application.
When making your application, make sure:

  • you enclose the correct fee with the application
  • the adult has an account in their sole name
  • the application is submitted within 14 days of countersignature
  • the correct medical certificate is attached to the application
  • the sums requested add up to the total shown and the frequency is clear
  • the applicant and countersignatory have initialled any changes made to the form
  • any request for a lump sum payment is supported and evidenced by invoice/receipts

Contact us if you need any further assistance in completing the form.

What next?

When we receive the application we will check it over and look at any supporting information you have provided.  We will contact you if we need any further clarification or evidence.  Once we are satisfied with the application we have a responsibility to send a copy of this to the adult and interested parties.  This gives the interested parties an opportunity to consider the terms of the application and tell us if they wish to object. Objections must be made in writing to us within 21 days. If there are no objections we will issue a certificate of authority within 25 days.  You will need this to start acting.

However, if an objection is made we will let you know and will make further enquiries to gather information before coming to a decision.  If we intend to refuse your application we will advise you in writing and let you know the time period to object to our proposed refusal.