Nominated scheme owner

Q. My firm is part of the scheme but I’m taking up a new position at another firm but that firm hasn’t joined the scheme, what happens?

The new firm will need to register and confirm that they meet and accept the scheme criteria. The firm will then appoint a nominated scheme owner (NSO) who will attend the mandatory training workshop.

Q. Our firm’s NSO has moved to another firm, what should we do?

Your firm must appoint a new NSO who is willing to take on the responsibility of the role. If this person hasn’t already attended the mandatory training workshop they will need to attend the next workshop.

Q. What happens to membership if firms merge?

If you wish to remain in the scheme and are happy with arrangements, you will need to tell us about:

  • the names of the firms that are merging
  • the details of any new guardianship cases that are to fall under the scheme

We also need you to confirm if the current NSO is to continue being the NSO and will take responsibility for the quality for all of the cases for the merged firm. If another NSO is to be appointed, please note they must have attended the mandatory workshop.

Acceptable form of accounts

Q. Must I use the OPG account form to complete a full account?

Yes. Our form must be fully completed and supported by bank statements for the full accounting period. This is submitted along with all other appropriate documentation. Please ensure you complete all income and expenditure details in the form.

We do not accept:

  • partially completed account forms which refer to attachments, or
  • accounts in the style of account of charge and discharge
Any account in the aforementioned style will be returned to the sender for amendment.

Q. Can I submit a cashier’s ledger in addition to a full account?

Yes. This can be submitted along with our completed account form and with bank statements covering the full accounting period.

Q. Can I submit a partially completed account with relevant attachments?

No. This is not an acceptable way to provide your accounting to us. All full accounts must be submitted using our account form.

Q. Can I submit an account of charge and discharge?

No. This is not an acceptable way to provide your accounting to us. All full accounts must be submitted using our account form.

Bank accounts

Q. Must the adult’s name appear on their bank account?

Yes. Paragraph 4 of Schedule 2 of the AWI Act states that “The guardian shall deposit all money received by him as guardian in a bank or a building society in an account in the name of the adult”.

Professional financial guardians must open a bank or designated client account in the name of each adult. The bank statements for the adult’s account should form part of your supporting documentation when lodging your annual/final account (if you use a client ledger copies of this can be included with the bank statements).

Share valuations

Q. How often should shares be revalued?

If shares are not revalued automatically, we would expect revaluations to be sought every 3 – 5 years.).


Q. Can I claim time & trouble expenses?

If you consider that either the “routine” work was excessive, or that you have carried out non-routine work, you may apply for an uplift to that standard “scale” remuneration. 

You will be required to submit an uplifts application form along with a full work in progress (WIP) file or timesheet. The work in progress file (WIP)/timesheet should provide a detailed breakdown of the work carried out along with the time spent on each task. The WIP file/time sheet must support the information you have provided in sections 1, 2, 3 and 5 of the form. 

Rates will be set at £140 per hour, up to a maximum of 10% of the adult’s estate at the close of the accounting period (excluding heritable property).

Q. Claims for travel expenses to check on the adult’s property?

If you are claiming travel expenses for making frequent visits to check the adult’s property in order to meet specific insurance policy criteria you must ensure that you are using an insurance company that is offering the best possible terms for the adult i.e. checks at appropriate intervals. We may ask you for evidence to support your preference for using a particular insurance company where it appears that the number of checks on a property is excessive and thus impacting on the adult’s estate.

Fees exemptions

Q. Can I apply for a fee exemption?

There are certain circumstances where you may be entitled to a fee exemption. You will need to apply to us using our application form if you are claiming a fee exemption. You should return this to us along with the declaration form or the full account.

Please note that if you submit the application form you do not need to submit the fee. We will contact you if a fee is due.

Q. How is the fee calculated?

We charge a fee for reviewing your annual account, which is paid from the adult's estate. The amount due will depend on the size of the adult’s estate. There are certain circumstances where you might be entitled to a fee exemption. We recommend that you check to find out if the adult is eligible for a fee exemption before completing the declaration form or sending us the account.

Please note that if you submit the application form you do not need to submit the fee. We will contact you if a fee is due.